Oregon Salvage Title

An auto involved in an accident in the state of Oregon becomes a salvage vehicle if the damage estimate is 100 percent of its value to completely repair or replace it. This will result in the issuance of a Oregon Salvage Certificate for the vehicle. It becomes a salvage vehicle and can't be driven on the highways or have a valid license plate. If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with a MD Salvage Rebuilt Title can be driven on the highways.

Oregon Salvage Titles

In the state of Oregon a vehicle is deemed a total loss by an insurance company if repairing vehicle or rebuilding the vehicle comes out to more than 80 percent of the pre-damage retail value of the vehicle. Once claimed as a total loss, your salvaged vehicle will be assigned an OR Salvaged Title. The car must be rebuilt or restored and pass inspection before it can be registered to be driven on the highways.

Applying for an Oregon Salvage Certificate of Title

Once your vehicle is deemed a total loss by your insurance company, you can then apply for a Certificate of Salvage Title with the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). To apply for a salvage title, you must go in person to your local DMV office. An Application for Salvage Title form needs to be filled out, and bring your current title, bill of sale, lien release (if applicable), odometer disclosure and method of payment for the $27 title fee.

Oregon Salvage Rebuilt-Reconstructed Title

If your vehicle has been repaired to roadworthy condition, you may file for a Salvage-Reconstructed Vehicle Title at your local Oregon DMV branch. To acquire a rebuilt salvage title, you'll need to bring the following:

You'll need to pass an emissions test at DEQ if you live in the Portland Area or the Rogue Valley (Medford), have receipts for major parts in reconstruction, and get a VIN inspection at a regular or full-service Oregon DMV office which charges a $7 fee.

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in Oregon

An abandoned vehicle title in Oregon can be claimed by anyone as long as the owner does not come forward to claim it. To claim an abandoned vehicle and title it, you'll have to first contact your local Oregon law authorities, give them the location of the vehicle and fill out an abandoned vehicle form. If authorities investigate and the owner is not located, they will then contact you.

At that point, you may take your completed Abandoned Vehicle Form to the local Oregon DMV branch and apply for an OR Motor Vehicle Title. For more information, please go to http://library.state.or.us/repository/2010/201011301310152/index.pdf.