How To Renew Your Oregon Drivers License
Ready to renew your Oregon drivers license? We've collected helpful information that will save you some time, and we offer links to resources that will get you going in the right direction. Select from the options below to get started.
Online application assistance can simplify the process for many DMV related services, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. In addition to the free forms and general instructions available from the DMV offices or websites, you will receive a comprehensive Easy Guide™ containing information relevant to your service needs. Where possible, we will prepare your DMV forms and/or provide links to DMV online services. Via our partners at Road America, you will also receive 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service. In addition, you will be able to take advantage of a free membership to DMV Advisors, a state-specific help desk prepared to answer any driver-related questions or concerns you may have. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.
2: By mail, if eligible (read below for instructions)
Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.
3: Via a local DMV office
If you prefer to access DMV services in person or your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at a physical DMV office location. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your local DMV allows you to make a personal appointment. Read more below to see if an in-person visit is either preferred or required.
It is against Oregon state law to drive with an expired license. To renew an Oregon drivers licenses, the applicant can apply in person at the Renewal Division of the DMV office.
Oregon Drivers Licenses Renewal Reminder
A postcard renewal reminder is mailed almost two months before the drivers license renewal will need to take place. In case the driver does not receive the reminder, they have to note when to renew their Oregon drivers license before it expires.
Steps To Renew Oregon Drivers License
The procedure for renewal of the Oregon drivers license includes:
- Application has to be made in person at any of the DMV offices where one resides
- Suspended, revoked or cancelled license cannot be renewed
- Expired drivers licenses over one year cannot be renewed unless one has military expemtion
- Submit the completed driver’s application. If required with medical tests/certificates
- Submit proof of legal full name/identity
- Submit proof of legal presence/citizenship in the US
- Social Security Number
- Proof of residence
- Surrender the Oregon drivers license that is about to expire
- Pay the renewal fees
- Have the photograph taken
As part of the Oregon drivers license renewal, the applicant will need to have ready certain documents to give to their local DMV such as:
Proof Of Identity:
- U.S. government issued birth document
- U.S. consular report on birth abroad
- Valid US passport or passport card
- A tribal ID card
- U.S. immigration documents
- U.S. naturalization documents
Proof Of Residence:
- U.S. passport or passport card
- A verbal statement by a person residing at the same residence. They must also accompany applicant and present proof of residence address.
- Oregon ID card not expired for over a year
- Oregon vehicle registration and title showing the same address as which applicant resides now
- Utility statement
- Any document issued by a financial institute that includes residence address
- Any item delivereed by US postal service, fedex or UPS by verifiable business or government agency
- US government issued marriage certificate
Once all the renewal conditions have been met, an temporary drivers license card is issued. This temporary license will permit the driver to drive in Oregon. This card can be used until the receipt of the renewed Oregon drivers license is received by mail.
Out-Of-State Oregon Drivers License Renewal
In case the Oregon drivers license renewal applicant is out of town when Oregon drivers license renewal is due and cannot perform the renewal in person, they may call DMV at (503) 945-5400. A driver can renew Oregon drivers license if it has not expired more than one year. If it is expired past one year, then the driver has to apply for a new Oregon drivers license.
For a list of related services, see below: