Name Change On An Oregon Drivers License
Have you recently gotten married, divorced, or had to change your legal name? The state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) recommends that you change the name on your Oregon drivers license as soon as possible. Select from the options below to get started.
Online application assistance can simplify the process for many DMV related services, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. In addition to the free forms and general instructions available from the DMV offices or websites, you will receive a comprehensive Easy Guide™ containing information relevant to your service needs. Where possible, we will prepare your DMV forms and/or provide links to DMV online services. Via our partners at Road America, you will also receive 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service. In addition, you will be able to take advantage of a free membership to DMV Advisors, a state-specific help desk prepared to answer any driver-related questions or concerns you may have. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.
2: By mail, if eligible (see instructions below)
Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.
3: Via a local DMV office
If you prefer to access DMV services in person or your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at a physical DMV office location. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your local DMV allows you to make a personal appointment. Read more below to see if an in-person visit is either preferred or required.
Applying For Oregon Drivers License Name Change
If you need to change your name on your drivers license, you must apply in person at your local DMV office. Other requirements include:
- Must be an Oregon resident
- The Oregon drivers license should not be suspended, canelled or revoked in Oregon or any other state.
- Submit Drivers license application form (Form 735-173) or commercial drivers license application form (Form 735-175).
- Submit proof of full legal name
- Proof of legal presence in the US
- Proof of residence address if required
- Pay the applicable feees
- Must have photograph taken
It is advised the change of name applicants generate and download the required forms and checklist. These documents will help save time when visiting the DMV office in person.
Proofs of Identity
- U.S. government issued birth document
- U.S. consular report on birth abroad
- Valid US passport or passport card
- A tribal ID card
- U.S. immigration documents
- U.S. naturalization documents
Proof of U.S. Citizenship
Applicants will also have to proof citizenship, the same documents can be use from the above list for name change on Oregon driver’s license.
Proof of Residence
- U.S. passport or passport card
- A verbal statement from a person residing at the same resident address and who must accompany and present proof of residence address.
- Oregon ID card not expired for over a year
- Oregon vehicle registration and title showing the same address as which applicant resides now
- Utility statement
- Any document issued by a financial institute that includes residence address
- Any item delivereed by U.S. postal service, FedEx or UPS by verifiable business or government agency
- U.S. government issued marriage certificate
Applicant should remember that only certified, original documents will be accepted as proof.
Oregon Change Of Name on License, Title, And Registration
An applicant, who has performed an Oregon drivers license change of name, will need to perform a change of name on their vehicle registration and title as well. Applicants will have to do this within 30 days of legally changing the name.
- Return the current title
- Compelte the form for title correction form
- Pay the relevent fees
- Submit the Oregon drivers license along with application
- Submit all at the local DMV office or mail to
Attn: Corrections Desk
1905 Lana Ave. NE
Salem, OR 97314
The Oregon Change of Name Division of the DMV has made it very convenient to update name change on Oregon drivers license, title and registration. The Oregon drivers license change of name applicant should remember that all fees must be paid in cash only. Most DMV locations do have ATM facilities for the convenience of the visitor to the Oregon Change of Name Division of the DMV.